Monday, May 24, 2010

Barkada Tagalog

Chicken-headed lakeboat

Translated and then expanded from a note posted by Elijah Juarez in his Faceboook page: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?pid=3665981&op=1&o=global&view=global&subj=100000676910722&id=594216818

When a Filipino says:
"Malapit na ako" which literally means "I'm nearby = I'm almost there," what he actually means is "I'm near [the bathroom since I still have to take a bath before I meet up with you guys]".
"Try ko" (Taglish) meaning "I'll try" but really means "Wish all you want but no way I'm going to do that."
"Sunod ako" which is short for "Susunod ako" meaning "I'll follow [after you]" but really means something like "Hell will freeze over before I come with you."
"Ako ang bahala" meaning "leave it up to me" though is closer in meaning to "I'll take care of it," but can - depending on who's saying it and the circumstance - mean "I'll take care of it, and it'll take care of you."
"Andito lang kami" meaning "We're (just around) here" or "We're in the vicinity," means exactly that.

No comments:

Post a Comment